“WILLIAMSTON DEPOT'S TELEGRAPH STATION” is the title of a new permanent exhibit that recreates the railroad/Western Union telegraph station that originally was in the depot, located “by the railroad tracks.” The Depot was moved in 1979, by volunteers, to its current site. The “bay window” area was once the telegraph station. Board member Earl Wolf, who spearheaded the creation of the exhibit, states: “the board had talked about recreating a telegraph station in that spot for a long time, but we lacked many artifacts and the expertise.” Earl stumbled upon the name of Robert Hibbard, who is 92 plus and learned telegraphy after WWII. He worked as a telegrapher at nearly every train depot across lower Michigan. Mr. Hibbard volunteered to donate priceless telegraph artifacts as well as his knowledge to complete our exhibit.
"WILLIAMSTON IN WAR"
This exhibit was professionally done by board member Earl Wolf and contains artifacts and information about the men and woman from Williamston who served in the Second World War.
"The History of Williamston"
This exhibit consists of nine cases which tell the story of Williamston from the first settlers up until the present.
temporary Exhibits & DISPLAYS
"POMP AND CIRCUMSTANCE - BACK IN THE DAY"
On display are invitations, diplomas, class photographs, etc. dating back to 1880 when the first class graduated from Williamston High School.
"Williamston and the RAILROAD"
For almost a century, nearly everything in Williamston came via the railroad and its depot. Roads were poor. The railroad was the conduit for most goods, products, information, and persons to and from Williamston and the world.